Creative Art Contest Takes Over
2013 Grand Prize Winner: Kevin Z. (9th-12th) from Design Architecture Senior High School
© Orange Bowl Staff
Miami Lakes, FL (www.orangebowl.org) – For the third time in four years, Doral Academy Elementary Charter School submitted the most entries into the 2013 Orange Bowl Creative Art Contest and earned a special Orange Bowl “takeover” at their campus on Tuesday, January 28, 2014. Doral Academy submitted 520 of the more than 2,300 entries from students representing 80 schools in Miami-Dade and Broward County. Orchestrated with the help of Doral Academy Elementary Art Teacher Bettina Alvarez, 350 students dressed up in orange and gathered at the school’s basketball courts to meet Orange Bowl staff members and their mascot, Obie, for the celebration. Orange Bowl staff members presented the school with a trophy, handed out snacks and prizes as well as played games with students.
The theme of the 2013 Orange Bowl Creative Art Contest was, “Champions Have Healthy Habits.” Kevin Z. (Design Architecture Senior High) was the grand prize winner. Kevin received a $1,500 money order provided by the Orange Bowl and Bank of America and two tickets to the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl Game featuring Clemson University and Ohio State University. Additionally, Kevin was recognized in an on-field presentation during the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl Game, and his artwork was featured in a full page, color acknowledgement in the 2014 Discover Orange Bowl Game Program.
In all, the 2013 Orange Bowl Creative Art Contest awarded more than $3,500 dollars in cash and prizes to South Florida youth. A total of 13 students received money orders provided by the Orange Bowl for finishing first, second or third in one of the four eligible categories (grades K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12).
From September through November, the Orange Bowl went on a school tour to promote this year’s contest which enabled the organization to visit and positively impact more than 6,600 students.
In 2013, the Orange Bowl, partnered with Bank of America, Comcast, Florida Blue and, MetroPCS to bring the Orange Bowl program to schools in the South Florida community. Congratulations to the 2013 Orange Bowl Creative Art Contest winners:
• 1st Place: Elisa N. from Doral Academy
• 2nd Place: Maya S. from Renaissance Charter School
• 3rd Place: Samuel Y. from Eagle Ridge Academy
• 1st Place: Sabrina N. from Primary Learning Center
• 2nd Place: Daniela Z. from Meadowlane Elementary
• 3rd Place: Ariana P. Country Hills Elementary
• 1st Place: Sofya M. from Nautilus Middle School
• 2nd Place: Samantha G. from Eugenia B. Thomas Middle School
• 3rd Place: Yuliet A. from Riviera Middle School
• 1st Place: Joshua S. from Hialeah-Miami Lakes Senior High
• 2nd Place: Carlos L. from Coral Reef Senior High School
• 3rd Place: Andy P. from Robert Morgan Educational Center
Back to All News